SHORT BIO: Dr Angela Martinez Dy is Senior Lecturer in Entrepreneurship at Loughborough University London. Her expertise, research interests and communities of practice revolve around digital entrepreneurship, anti-racist intersectional cyberfeminism, and critical realist philosophy. She is a poet and scholar-activist with a track record of creating impact through building new initiatives and collaborating with community-based organisations.
LONG BIO: Dr Angela Martinez Dy is Senior Lecturer at the Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship at Loughborough University London. She holds a BA (Hons) from the University of Washington where she double majored in Mathematics and Creative Writing, and MA (Dist) and PhD in Entrepreneurship from Nottingham University Business School. Her research interests and communities of practice revolve around digital entrepreneurship, intersectional cyberfeminism, and critical realist philosophy. She takes a sociological, cyberfeminist perspective to understand the ways that society and technology interact and impact the world of work. A poet, scholar-activist and trained anti-racist and intersectional feminist community organiser, she has a track record of creating impact through building new community-based organisations, including Youth Speaks Seattle, Seattle’s leading vehicle for youth empowerment through arts education, which she co-founded at age 17.
Angela is a thought and strategic leader for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion at her institution and has twice won the Loughborough Academic Award for EDI Champion (2020/21 and 2021/22). She is a founding member of Building the Anti-Racist Classroom (BARC), an international collective of women business and management educators of colour working to develop anti-racist pedagogy and practice in HE. She is also a founding member of the Decolonizing Alliance, a member of the Gender and Enterprise Network of the Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship, and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. This blog represents her personal views, not those of the university.
Photo: Adrianne McKenzie, 2018
- Martinez Dy A (2021) Doing one’s work” in entrepreneurship studies: interpellation, distraction, disruption and transformation. International Journal of Gender and Entrepreneurship 13(3): 207–224. DOI: 10.1108/IJGE-01-2021-0016.
- Martinez Dy A (2020) Not all Entrepreneurship Is Created Equal: Theorising Entrepreneurial Disadvantage through Social Positionality. European Management Review 17(3): 687–699. DOI: 10.1111/emre.12390.
- Martinez Dy, A. (2019) Levelling the playing field? Towards a critical-social perspective on digital entrepreneurship Futures (online first)
- Martinez Dy, A., Martin, L., Marlow, S. (2018) Emancipation through digital entrepreneurship? A critical realist analysis. Organization 25(5): 585–608. DOI: 10.1177/1350508418777891.
- Martinez Dy, A., Marlow, S., Martin, L. (2017) A Web of Opportunity or the Same Old Story? Women Digital Entrepreneurs and Intersectionality Theory. Human Relations 70(3): 286-311.
- Martinez Dy, A., Martin, L., Marlow, M. (2014) Developing a Critical Realist Positional Approach to Intersectionality. Journal of Critical Realism, 13(5): 447-466.
Excellence and Reputation
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Expert Advisor, Innovate UK
- Co-developed EDI Indicators for UKRI COVID19 Innovation Funding – April 2020
- Panellist, Inclusive Events Workshop – Oct 2019
- Advisory Group Member to Innovation Caucus study ‘Supporting Diversity and Inclusion in Innovation‘ – 2018/2019
- Expert Advisor to Diversity VC regarding data collection for Diversity VC Standard – May 2020
Loughborough University Leadership
- Proposer and Strategic Architect, LU Race Equity Strategy
- Proposer and Co-Chair, EDI Advisory Forum
- Race Equality Charter Working Group
- Proposer and Student Liaison, BAME Staff Network
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee BAME Staff Representative (London Campus): 2020 – present
Hats I Wear
- Associate Editor, Human Relations (2020-present); International Small Business Journal (2016-2018)
- Editorial Board Member, Centre for Critical Realism (2016-2020) and Journal of Critical Realism. 2016 – present.
- Academic Partner, Digital Women UK (2014-present)
Previous Roles Held
- Academic Gender Promotion Working Group: 2020 – 2021
- Race Equality Charter Bronze Action and Working Groups: 2019 –2021
- BAME Staff Network Advocacy Lead: 2020-2021
- Proposer and Chair, Creative Assessment Working Group (London Campus) 2019 – 2021
- Proposer, Early Career Researcher Champion (London campus): 2020 – 2021
- Proposer, UCU Representative (London campus): 2015-2020
- Committee Member and Vice Chair, Marketing and Communications (2012-2019)
- Intersectionality Champion (2019-2020)
One thought on “About Angela”
Dear DR. ANGELA MARTINEZ DY,
I would like to send you an email message. Please share your email add with me or write me at email@example.com
Many thanks in advance and keep up the good work.